School History 1970-1979
In 1973 the Prefect system, which had been a part of the school since its opening, was replaced. In its place there were eight committees; Social, Charities, Library, Media, Environment, Newspaper, Sports and Liaison. Each class was represented on each committee and the Newspaper committee began work right away on an internal school newspaper.
In 1974 a school bulletin was introduced for communication within the school, this bulletin is still used today. In October Mr. R. Pellew co-operated with the Road Safety Council to conduct the first defensive driving course in a South Australian High School.
In 1976 the two storey building at the school was ready for the start of the year. This year student representatives were elected to all functioning school committees including Council, Canteen and Uniform.
The New Two Storey Building
In 1978 the House System which had been a part of the school since 1935 was abolished and replaced by the class based competition system that is still in use today. At the end of the year for the first time the school magazine was produced on school grounds instead of being commercially made.
During 1979 the first visit to Nuriootpa High School by an Australian Governor-General occurred. Sir Zelman Cowen and Lady Cowen attended an outdoor assembly and presented awards. They were then presented with woodwork and pottery made by the students.
Sir Zelman Cowen Visits Nuriootpa High School